A04 Tower Crane
With effect from 25th November 2016 this category has been amended to add endorsements
The CPCS Tower Crane category was reviewed by an industry-led working group during 2016 following feedback that Pedestrian Operated Tower Crane should be incorporated in to this category. There are now three endorsement as follows:
A04A – Trolley jib – Cab Controlled
A04B – Luffing jib – Cab Controlled
A04C – Trolley jib – Remote Controlled
To provide high quality training and testing in the safe and effective use of plant and machinery to enable the candidate to attain the CPCS Red Operator Card.
This course is for people with limited or no experience of operating a tower crane.
It teaches you how to operate and maintain a tower crane safely.
- CITB Health, safety and environment test passed within two years before the course start date or CPCS test date.
- Good understanding of spoken and written English. Please contact us if you have any concerns in this area.
Teaching and Assessment
- 5 Days Training – Classroom-based and Practical Training
- 1 Day – CPCS testing
We also offer a 2 day experienced worker course for candidates who do not require practical training.
- Operate the tower crane safely and productively
- Respond to the recognised signals for controlling crane operations
- Decide whether a particular load is within the capacity of the crane
- Carry out minor adjustments and routine maintenance
- Understand the capabilities of the equipment and any relevant safety precautions, including the out of service procedure
- Operate safe-load indicators and overload warning devices
- Understand the effect of the working radius on the lifting capacity of the machine
- Secure, check and maintain counterweights effectively
- Gauge the effect of shock loading on structural strength and stability
- Recognise the principles of safe slinging, the types and capacities of lifting gear, security and balance of load
- Observe the statutory regulations in respect of lifting equipment and the operator’s own legal responsibilities.
On successful completion of the Theory & Practical tests the candidate is awarded the Red Trained Operators Card which is valid for two years.
Register and complete the NVQ level 2 for the Blue Competent Operators Card which is valid for five years.