HS & E Tests Frequently asked questions
What information do I need to book a test?
You will need the following information before you can book a HS&E test:
- The test you need to take – Operative, Labourer, Specialist, or Managers and Professionals
- Whether you require any special assistance
- Your address details
- National Insurance Number
- Your CITB registration number – You will have this number if you have taken the test before, or applied for certain card schemes (CSCS, CPCS, CISRS, etc)
Where can I take the test?
You need to visit a CITB approved centre to sit the HS&E test, and there are three different types:
- A fixed test centre operated by your delivery provider – Find your nearest test centre
- An independent Internet Test Centre (ITC) – These are operated by colleges, training providers or commercial organisations (you will need to contact them directly to book a test)
How long does the test take?
All tests last for 45 minutes and have 50 multiple-choice questions including:
- 12 behavioural case study questions about how you should behave on a construction site to stay safe
- 38 knowledge questions to check your awareness of health, safety and environment issues
Is there any revision material
You can order revision material in the following ways:
- Online through CITB’s Health, safety and environment test online store
- By phoning CITB on 0344 994 4488. Lines are open Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm, and Saturdays 8am to 12pm
- Through bookshops on the high street or online
- Through your Apple or Android app store.
HS & E test revision Apps
On the move and want to revise for your HS&E test?
Test your knowledge with the official CITB revision apps – wherever you are and whatever you are doing for just £5.99.
The apps are available to purchase for both Operatives and specialist & Managers and professionals tests.
Features of the app include:
- New word search facility to help you revise key areas of concern
- Access to the full suite of revision material and sample case studies
- A timed practice test in the same format as the real test
- Full progress reports so that you can review your progress and identify gaps in your knowledge
- The Operatives and specialist app is available in 14 different languages including Polish, Bulgarian and Portuguese
How to download
Apps are available to download on iOS or Android devices. Use the links below to download your copy of the app.